Saturday, November 19, 2005

How I deal with...

How yours truly deal with...
Telemarketer trying to get me to sign up for a credit card

Me : "Hello?"

Them : "Hello Mr. Yap, this is so-and-so calling from so-and-so bank and i would like to tell you more about our this-and-that credit card."

Me : "Oh, sorry, i'm still schooling and don't have a fixed income."

Them : "No Problem, it's okay Sir."

Them : "Duuu...................................."

Me : "Hello? Kan Nin Lao Shi Eh Pua Tur-tle!" (Hello? Screw Your Teacher's Broken Turtle)

Case closed.

How yours truly deal with...
Telemarketers from the green-colored company trying to get me to sign up for cable

Me : "Hello?"

Them : "Hello Mr. Yap, this is so-and-so calling from the green-colored company and we would like to offer you free installation if you subscribe to our cable television channels."

Me : "Oh, thank you so much so-and-so but i'm sorry i cannot decide because i'm not the one paying for the subscription."

Them : "Oh, but you see Sir, the installation of the unit is FREE."

Me : "Thank you again, but hardly anyone in my household watches that much TV, and my Dad is not going to pay for something he's not going to watch."

Them : "In that case, thank you Sir."

Me : "Thank you for calling."

Case closed.

How yours truly deal with...
Insurance Agents/Life Planners at MRT stations, i repeat, AT MRT STATIONS!

Firstly, if you can help it, avoid walking into their "Killing Zone", but in the unfortuante event that you end up in the zone and you are being approached by one of them.

Them : "Hello Sir, can you spare me 3 minutes of your time?"

Me : "Erm..."

Them : " Really, only 3 minutes, let me tell you about our product which can help you save so-much-so money in so-little-so time at just only-this-only amount per month."

Don't lie, if anyone of you have ever been approached by anyone of them, you know it's never going to be 3 minutes. It's either 3 seconds or forever! Even if it was 3 minutes, would you make a decision which would affect your entire financial future after listening to a 3 minute sales pitch? I can go on and on but i'm sure you know what i'm talking about. I go to the train station to catch a train to wherever i'm heading to, not with the intention to have my life "planned".

My recommended response, even thou i have yet to try this myself,

Me : "I'm an agent for (Insert rival company/bank name)."

Case closed.

I respect your job and i know it's tough for you guys. I know that this is most probably your part-time job and you are most probably forced to make these "cold calls" or do these "mini roadshows". I respect those who are dedicated to their work, more so if they are really commited to helping people like us plan our financial futures. I have many friends who are working as agents and i respect their work ethic and the sheer toughness of their jobs.
But don't, never, ever get someone my age, who most probably just passed his planner exams, extremely heavy cigarette breath, poor english and a pushy attitude to try to sell me anything or plan anything that belongs to me.

Here, have a pack of mints and a dictionary on me...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home